Want to learn how to work less and produce more?
In business as well as in our lives, 20% of what we do generates 80% of the results. We can drop some of our activities that do not generate results. By doing so, we can actually increase our productivity and generate more results in our business.
Work less and produce more? Count me in!
If it sounds too good to be true, you are probably asking “what is the catch?”
“Nature abhors a vacuum.” –theory attributed to Aristotle
When we drop something from our life, we will find something else to take its place. If we cut something out of our schedule, we will find something to fill it. In order to really harness the power of the Pareto Principle, we need to consciously fill the gap with something that is a match to what we want to create.
Waste hours online watching too many YouTube videos? If you drop this habit that isn’t producing the results you want, what will you do in its place? If you don’t choose consciously to fill it with something that will serve you better, you may end up filling it with another unproductive activity. Schedule in a hike, family time, sales calls, or networking. Choose something that will feel good, and be a match to what you really want.
To make this work for you, follow these steps:
- What are your 80% activities? List the things you do that are not generating the results you want. What activities make you feel frustrated, annoyed, or bored? Take a look, and really ask yourself if these activities are helping you reach your goals.
- Decide what you want to cut.
- What are your 20% activities? List the things you do that really payoff. Take a look at some of your biggest clients, biggest sales, and best months in the past year. What did you do that generated these results?
- Decide what you want to protect.
- Create a plan to help you delegate or offload the activity that isn’t serving you. For example, if you find that bookkeeping stresses you out, and really doesn’t generate results for you, you may need to delegate. A quick plan to get referrals to a bookkeeper, interview, and hire someone may take a couple of weeks to finish.
- What will you do to fill the vacuum? What will you choose to focus on instead? Pick something that you love, that makes you feel good, or that generates results for you (one of your 20% activities). Sometimes playing a game with your children or walking the dog can be the best thing you can do. Going to work feeling fresh and energized can amp up your results.
What are you going to drop? And how will you fill the gap? Update us on the Facebook page!