Have you ever left the breakfast dishes on the counter in the morning when you left to begin your day? There they sit, when you return to your kitchen in the evening. You eye them up… weighing your options.
A: take the time to wash them and put them away before you begin dinner.
B: Make dinner, and wash the breakfast dishes when you are done dinner (along with the dinner dishes too!).
With A, you have a clean slate. You can focus on dinner without distraction. However, it takes some willingness to delay gratification. And to let go! With B, you have to work around the dirty dishes.
Today we are going to create a clean slate, and get obstacles out of our way so we can move forward more easily. When we have our mental energy and attention focused on things in the past, sometimes it can be difficult to focus our attention ahead. This is a little like driving while looking in the rear-view mirror! So, let’s stop the car for a minute, and actually get a good look behind us before moving forward. Looking back over the past 12 months:
- Is there anything you really wanted to do, but didn’t?
- Why didn’t you do it?
- Is it something to let go of or is it something to recommit to in 2014? If letting go is the right choice for you, then do it! Let go, and don’t let it distract you as you move forward!
- Where did you let fear, nerves or uncertainty hold you back from something you really wanted?
- What projects or opportunities did you say no to, and they are still on your mind?
- What projects or opportunities did you say yes to, and you aren’t super excited about it?
- Is there any unfinished business, projects or conversations that want your attention?
- Are there any financial accounts that are outstanding (for example, more than 30 days past due) where a conversation may be helpful for you and your client?
- What actions could you take to wrap up unfinished business that may be holding you back?
- In the next 24 hours?
- This week?
- Next week?
- What do you want to drop that has been holding you back and not serving you?
- What do you want to recommit to that will propel you towards what you want?
Go ahead and share on our Facebook page! Let others support you to move forward to your bigger sea!